A new year means an exciting new lineup of streaming content to look forward to. Netflix’s 2024 is shaping up to be one of the best, with the announcement of blockbuster movies, new TV shows, and potential hidden gems.
Here’s a sneak peek into some of the most notable releases that will redefine your Netflix streaming experience this year, whether you’re looking for something to play in the background, planning a movie night, or seeking something new to binge-watch on the weekends.
Blockbuster movies coming to your screen
The silver screen takes a digital turn as Netflix prepares to roll out a spectacular lineup of blockbuster movies. With a diverse range of releases in every genre, the streaming giant is set to cater to every cinematic taste.
2024 is going to be a great year for movie enthusiasts, with much anticipated sequels, live action adaptations, and exciting original stories. Here are a few notable film releases to look forward to in 2024:
- Society of the Snow (January 4)
- Coming from director J.A. Bayona and based on true events, Society of Snow is the story about a Uruguayan flight crashing in the remote heart of the Andes, forcing survivors to find a way to live amidst a brutal environment.
- Lift (January 12)
- Kevin Hart starring in a heist film? You can already tell it’s going to be a good time. A master thief is wooed by his ex-girlfriend and the FBI to pull off an impossible heist with his international crew on a 777 passenger flight from London to Zurich.
- Damsel (March 8)
- Ever since her amazing debut in Stranger Things, Millie Bobby Brown has been a powerhouse talent for Netflix. In Damsel, she plays a young woman who agrees to marry a handsome prince, only to discover it was all a trap. She is thrown into a cave with a fire-breathing dragon and must survive on her own.
- Rebel Moon Part 2: The Scargiver (April 19)
- The direct sequel to the new franchise IP from Zack Snyder, fresh off of his decade-long stint from helming the DCEU. Kora and the surviving warriors alongside the people of Veldt prepare to defend their new home against the Realm. The warriors face their past, revealing their motivations, before the Realm’s forces arrive to crush the growing rebellion.
- Gundam: Requiem for Vengeance (October 17)
- The iconic Japanese mech franchise is getting a shiny new film from a collaboration between Legendary Entertainment and Sunrise Interactive. The movie is being developed using the popular video game 3D creation tool Unreal Engine 5.
- Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley
- While there isn’t a specific release date yet, the 4th Beverly Hills movie is set to come out in the summer of 2024. Eddie Murphy, Kevin Bacon, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are just some of the stars you can expect in the upcoming sequel.
- Irish Wish
- This list wouldn’t be complete without a mention of a romcom. Lindsay Lohan will be playing Maddie, whose best friend is suddenly engaged to the love of her life. She now has to go to their wedding in Ireland as a bridesmaid. There’s no specific release date but it’s also expected to come out in 2024.
TV shows for binge-watching
If you want something more than movies, Netflix has a plethora of TV shows available on their platform. And if you already have a backlog that you haven’t finished yet, prepare to add more to it because these are some of the most exciting shows coming in 2024:
- Fool Me Once (January 1)
- If there’s one thing binge-watchers love, it’s a gripping crime drama. Fool Me Once is about Maya Stern (Michelle Keegan), who’s trying to come to terms with the murder of her husband, Joe (Richard Armitage). But when Maya installs a nanny-cam to keep an eye on her young daughter, she sees a man she recognises in her house: her dead husband.
- The Brothers Sun (January 4)
- You know a show is going to be a good watch when Michelle Yeoh is attached to it. When the head of a powerful Taiwanese triad is shot by a mysterious assassin, his eldest son, legendary killer Charles “Chairleg” Sun (Justin Chien), heads to Los Angeles to protect his mother, Eileen (Michelle Yeoh), and his younger brother, Bruce (Sam Song Li) — who’s been completely sheltered from the truth about his family until now.
- Griselda (January 25)
- Griselda is inspired by the life of the savvy and ambitious Griselda Blanco, who created one of the most profitable cartels in history. In 1970s to 1980s Miami, Blanco’s lethal blend of unsuspected savagery and charm helped her expertly navigate between business and family, leading her to become widely known as “the Godmother”.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (February 22)
- One of the most critically acclaimed animated shows is getting a new live action adaptation. There’s a lot riding on this one given the high expectations of series fans. The four nations once lived in harmony, with the Avatar, master of all four elements, keeping peace between them. But everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.
- The Signal (March 7)
- Sci-fi is one of the more versatile genres in media and always has a dedicated fanbase to support it. Paula is a scientist aboard the International Space Station. She disappears without a trace on her flight home to her family, leaving Sven and his daughter with a riddle which could shake the entire earth. Up there, in the depths of space, Paula made an unbelievable discovery. The Signal is an intriguing miniseries that’s worth putting on the radar.
- 3 Body Problem (March 21)
- From the showrunners of the critically acclaimed Game of Thrones TV Series comes 3 Body Problem. A young woman’s fateful decision in 1960s China reverberates across space and time to a group of brilliant scientists in the present day. As the laws of nature unravel before their eyes, five former colleagues reunite to confront the greatest threat in humanity’s history.
- Dead Boy Detectives (April 2024)
- Dead Boy Detectives is set in the same universe as The Sandman, one of the more successful Netflix series released in recent years. Edwin and Charles are teenagers born decades apart who find each other only in death. They become best friends and ghosts who solve mysteries.
An exciting year to watch out for
Coming in 2024, these movies and TV series on Netflix are brimming with promise and potential. From cinematic blockbusters to TV shows that will fill the weekends up, Netflix has it all. Mark your calendars, set your reminders, and watch out for all these great shows.
Streaming has never been this convenient and hassle-free. Smart allows you to access your favorites anytime, anywhere with Netflix On Us through Smart’s Signature Plans+. You can activate your Netflix bundle by following the instructions and clicking the link in your Signature welcome email. You may also visit the Smart Netflix Activation Portal directly. All Signature Plans come with big data allocation as well as unli all-net calls and texts and unli landline calls.
Your next favorite show or movie is now just a click away!